Summary of Employer Council Meeting and Small Employer Forum
On November 9, 2016, we welcomed more than 30 employer representatives to the Employer Council Meeting and Small Employer Forum in Richmond. The Employer Council consists of the 20 largest employers across all pension plans, while the Small Employer Forum consists of employers with fewer than 1000 employees. The Employer Council meets twice a year (spring and fall), and the Small Employer Forum meets once a year in the fall.
At the meeting, we spent a productive day sharing ideas and learning from one another. The morning kicked off with a welcome by Pension Corporation’s Director of Employer Operations Brad Boquist and Assistant Director Robert Bowness. Client Service Manager Robin Hansen reported on plan updates, including
- Municipal Pension Plan rate simplification,
- pension adjustment and amended pension adjustment updates,
- the new one-year no-contribution report required by the Pension Benefits Standards Act, and
- changes to the long-term disability confirmation process.
Following these updates, Robert Bowness provided highlights from the last six months of operations and described updates to the employer web portal that are now live.
We then discussed Employer Online Services, a multi-year program geared towards improving services offered to employers. The group was also walked through online year-end preparation tools and participated in a feedback session that provided insight on the new services.
After lunch, Steven Hoose, Assistant Director Creative Services, provided a demonstration and walk-through of the redesigned WorkSafeBC Pension Plan website, which went live November 28, 2016. The new website makes it easier for members to find and understand pension information, and allows them to submit a retirement application package online. Similar redesigns are underway for the other plan websites; next to launch will be the Municipal Pension Plan website in spring 2017.
To wrap up the day, we heard feedback on the Employer Council format from attendees:
- enjoyed the full-day session
- thought other teams from Pension Corporation should attend to provide more information about the plans’ governance
- would like a break-out session on information related to payroll and human resources
We have many great ideas for the next forum in Victoria on May 2, 2017. Contact Kellie White at email@example.com if you would like to attend.